Sweet Inspiration and Culinary Adventures!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



St. Patrick's Day is celebrated very differently in the United States than in Ireland.  Here, we celebrate the Irish holiday by waking up early to enjoy green eggs and beer with friends; "Kegs and Eggs" for breakfast, please!  Followed by a day of parades, dying the river green and bar after bar of green people.  Put your green on and let the celebration begin!


I wanted to make something "Irish" for St. Patrick's Day this year.  The early morning breakfast food is already provided (thank you to my hosts!), so the bacon, Cheddar, chive scones I was thinking won't do.  On to my specialty, dessert.  I thought about Guinness cupcakes, but have done them so many times I wanted to experiment with something slightly different this year.  I'll stick with the simple vanilla cupcake, but dress it up for St. Patrick's Day by making a Baileys buttercream frosting instead of my traditional vanilla.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), these cupcakes are only for those 21 and older.  This really isn't a traditional Irish dish, like a Full Irish Breakfast or Bangers and Mash, but it will definitely hit the spot.












Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit 

Baileys Buttercream Frosting
2 pounds (1 bag) confectioner's sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter (I prefer European style, like Kerrygold)
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons Baileys
Milk, as needed for consistency


Cream butter.  Add confectioner's sugar in stages and  beat on low speed.  Add all other ingredients.  Beat until smooth.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave comments.