Sweet Inspiration and Culinary Adventures!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fire and Ice


It’s that time of year again, the annual Fire and Ice party!  Every year my dear friends host their Fire and Ice party around the 4th of July.  Fire breathing, ice shots, flaming shots – if it is related to fire or ice, you can bet it will make an appearance. 

Thinking: Fire or Ice?  What to bring?  No matter who is hosting, or what type of party, for some reason I always feel compelled to bake.  I love baking – it is my hobby after all.  I do wonder if there will ever be a day that I’ll just pick up a 6 pack or a bottle of wine instead of going to the great lengths of whipping something up in the kitchen.  Doubt it.  It’s way too much fun.

Last year I made cupcakes – regular vanilla with vanilla frosting.  I did red and blue sprinkles to stick with the fire and ice theme.  This year, I wanted to get more patriotic.  The 4th had already passed, but sticking with the signature tune of stars and stripes, I decided to make my famous sugar cookies – in a star format of course!  Red, white and blue stars it is.

The Cooking Channel was on in the background.  Giada De Laurentiis – looking all smooth and styled and beautiful.  Here I was just after a workout, gym shorts and a tee, hair pulled up.  Why can’t  I look like Giada in the kitchen?  My roommate and her boyfriend were sitting at the kitchen counter keeping me company as I rolled out sugar cookie dough.  He says: “you and Giada look like you’re doing the same thing (she also happened to be rolling out dough).  You should have a show.”  If only!  A lovely compliment, but I don’t think I’ll ever be in the same realm as Giada.  That will be the day!

As we all watched Giada serve up a delicious meal, I was cutting out stars, baking feverishly so the cookies would be done in time.  Just over 4 dozen stars were baked, cooled and frosted.  I took them all to the party with me (so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat more later) – not a single cookie was left by the end of the night!  That always puts a smile on my face, knowing the baked goods I made were eaten AND the guests thought they were delicious.  

Roll-Out Cookies 
Color Flow Icing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave comments.