Sweet Inspiration and Culinary Adventures!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

I love the 4th of July.  Fireworks, family time, great meals, even better desserts.  Poor me, I've taken so much vacation this year I can't take any time off and won't be able to make it to my parent's like every other year.  This year, I'll be staying put in Chicago, but will still be surrounded by people I love.

I'll miss the homemade ice cream, boating on the lake and catching up with the family.  Most of all I'll miss out on the cousin time and seeing my one and only niece!  I'll have to substitute with sunning myself on Lake Michigan and family time with J's family.  That should more than suffice!

I'm making a few go-to desserts that will be easy to transport for the holiday.  The classics - Dutch Apple Pie and Chocolate Chip Cookies.  These are two of my favorites.  What American doesn't love Dutch Apple Pie?  Or, for that matter, apple pie?  Perhaps it's only my family.  

Since I can remember my grandmother (then my mother) was serving up warm apple crisp for dessert.  Hot apples covered in a crunch sugar crust that melted in your mouth.  It was a welcoming dish that spoke of love and home, and then there was the apple pie.  Succulent apple pie covered with a flaky butter crust that was good to the very last bite.

For the love of apple crisp and apple pie, I went in search for the recipe that combined the two.  After several attempts that just wouldn't hold up, I decided to make my own, using my grandmother's apple crisp topping of course!  The result, a mouthwatering, irresistible, harmonious combination, Dutch Apple Pie.  Wow.
The key to making this dish so succulent, European style butter.  I prefer Kerrygold Unsalted to all others.  It brings a creamy flavor and adds a richness to the pie.  Others have a waxy finish and don't do this dessert justice.

My family can't get enough of the soft, warm, sugar covered apples and the sweet crunch of the brown sugar topping.  Don't forget the flaky butter crust that this sits on.  This is the perfect dessert year-round.  Some even eat if for breakfast!   


Megan's Dutch Apple Pie
Ingredients
Pie

  • 1 (9 inch) pie shell (Make from scratch or use Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust)
  • 5 cups apples - peeled, cored and sliced (roughly six apples, I prefer Jonagold)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 tablespoons European style unsalted butter
Bubu's Streusel Topping
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup European style unsalted butter
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Fit pastry shell into pie pan and place in freezer.
  2. Make apple filling: Place apples in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl combine 2 tablespoons flour, white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.  Mix well, then add to apples.  Toss until apples are evenly coated.
  3. Remove pie shell from freezer.  Place apple mixture in pie shell and dot with 2 tablespoon butter.  Lay a sheet of aluminum foil lightly on top of filling, but do not seal.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
  5. While filling is baking, make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar and salt.  Mix thoroughly, then cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture is crumbly.  Remove filling from oven and sprinkle streusel on top.
  6. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F.  Bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until streusel is browned and apples are tender (the pie should be bubbling on the sides).  Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning.

1 comments:

2amscrapper said...

well now I'm all teary eyed. sniff sniff.... missing you :(

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave comments.