Sweet Inspiration and Culinary Adventures!

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes



I’ve been striving for the perfect chocolate cupcake.  Impeccable chocolate flavor, super moist and intoxicatingly indulgent.  I have an extraordinary challenge approaching fast – I’m making all of the desserts, including the wedding cake for my brother’s wedding (stay tuned for other test approved recipes!).  So finding the perfect chocolate cupcake wasn’t just fun experiments anymore, it was necessity. 

Previous batches have been dry, crumbly, not sweet enough, too sweet, you name it, I baked it.  So I was on the hunt, again, for that perfect chocolate cupcake.  Several recipes I came across called for coffee.  Why do all of these recipes call for coffee?  I know.  I know.  Coffee might enhance the flavor of the chocolate, making it richer.  I think you can add cocoa powder or melted chocolate to achieve that really rich chocolate flavor, right?  More chocolate flavor - yes please.  I’m sorry to all of those coffee lovers, but I don’t like the taste either.  Coffee flavored desserts just aren't my style, and if I’m going to consume the calories, I want it to be on something decadent and worthwhile.  Don’t get me wrong, coffee desserts do have a time and a place, just not usually in my kitchen. 
After several trials (and errors) and a few tweaks, the results were magically delicious.  The bride and groom want one of their cupcake varieties to be chocolate with Oreo buttercream frosting.  Easy.  I have the cake part down now, and I’ll turn to my classic buttercream frosting, adding crushed Oreo’s.  Wowza.  After this last batch, I think I’ll stop.  Success is mine. 

Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients:
2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cup Ghirardelli Cocoa Powder
2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Boiling Water


Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F  Mix all ingredients with the paddle attachment on medium speed until blended.  Pour into cupcake tins (pour batter 3/4 high).  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Test with a cake tester.


For a 9x13 in cake - bake for one hour.


Let cool on wire racks.  Frost and decorate.


My Vanilla Buttercream:
2 pounds confectioner's sugar (1 package)
2 sticks butter (European style preferred), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk, as needed for consistency 
*Add as many crushed Oreo's as needed for an Oreo buttercream



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave comments.