Sweet Inspiration and Culinary Adventures!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

All About Cakes

Birthday Celebrations are the Best!


I strongly believe that everyone should be able to make a birthday wish and enjoy a really good piece of birthday cake when they celebrate turning one year older.  


This last week I've made two cakes for two very special birthdays.  The first was a friend of mine - a classic carrot cake with a classic look.  I was asked to do a vampire themed cake.  Without making it cheesy, I did a white fondant over the carrot cake with a black ribbon border.  I added black scrolls and then three red roses.  


The second, for a party this weekend, is R2D2.  This was by far the most difficult cake that I've made, but it was the most fun!  I used three 6 x 3" cakes and a dome cake for the top.  I painted the dome with a silver edible paint mixed with vodka.  The vodka evaporates (safe for kids to eat!) and leaves a nice silver color on the cake.  The arms were the most interesting piece of the cake to design.  I used Rice Krispies treats to mold the shape of the arm and covered those with fondant.  I never thought I would be molding Rice Krispies treats into robot arms.    


I hope each individual has a very special birthday!

1 comments:

poffme said...

Wow, I had no idea you could do such amazingly complex cakes Megan. This is awesome. I never got a chance to tell you at Laura's birthday party, but your cupcakes were very rich and delicious. I would love to help decorate a cake with you some day, it seems like it would be the kind of detail-oriented fun that I like. I envision the fondant/sculpting being similar to jewelry making, where you use non-traditional things around the house to come up with cool patterns, textures, and ideas. ~ Meredith (Poff) Wellman

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave comments.