Sweet Inspiration and Culinary Adventures!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Birthday Celebrations


I absolutely love birthdays.  We commemorate how wonderful the gift of life is and all the joy it brings.  Nothing more makes me happier than getting to share in someone’s birthday celebration.  As I’ve grown as a baker, this usually involves me making a cake or cupcakes to bring to the party.  After all, everyone must make a birthday wish, and you can’t do that without a cake or cupcake to put the candle in!

This month I’ve had the honor of making two very special birthday cakes, both for family members.  The first cake was for a first birthday party.  Minnie Mouse was the theme!  I can’t think of a more fun theme for a first birthday.  An absolute blast to make!  All hands on deck for this cake.  I had my dad help me with the power tools.  Yes, power tools in the kitchen!  After fully washing, of course, we drilled holes into the cake boards and cake to insert a dowel rod for extra support.  This was quite the experience! 

For the ultimate introduction to sugar, chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream.  Yum.  This was made for the “smash” cake the birthday girl dug into.  I made a tiered cake for the rest of the party goers to enjoy.  Two layers were chocolate with whipped Oreo filling and the third was chocolate with a chocolate peanut butter ganache filling.  So delicious.

The second cake I had the privilege of making was for my dear sister.  


She wanted something classic but with an edge.  We decided on a black tiered cake, but miniature, with tiny roses made of fondant as an accent.  The roses really pop against the black fondant.  She wanted the cake to look sexy, so we went with chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream.  The reviews were outstanding.  I was even asked at the restaurant where we purchased the cake.  I was happy to tell the wait staff that I had made it.  What a compliment!

Happy Birthday B!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave comments.